Friday 30 November 2012

1880 King Alfonso XII Stamp

1880 King Alfonso XII stamp issued
in the Philippines during Spanish era.
Stanley Gibbons No. 83.

The first post office in the Philippines was established in 1767. It was then organized as a new postal district of Spain in 1779, encompassing Manila and the entire Philippine archipelago.

From April 19, 1880 to January 1, 1886, the Spanish administration has issued several King Alfonso XII stamps in the Philippines mostly with an imprint of 'FILIPINAS'.

This King Alfonso XII stamp on the left is part of my collection which I acquired from a Belgian philatelist and stamp dealer. This was issued on April 19, 1880 with a face value of 2-1/2 centimos. Engraved by Eugenio Julia Jover and typographed by the Fabrica Nacional de Sello in Madrid, Spain. Printed in sheets of 100 (10 x 10), on unwatermarked paper. However, the quantity issued is unknown.

This stamp's originality and antiquity makes it one of my most valued stamps in my collection.

 *All stamp images are owned by Christian Martin Siclot. 


How I got into stamp collecting? Check here: Hobby: Stamp Collecting and view some of my insect stamps in my collection here: Insect stamps.

Reference(s):
http://www.philippinephilatelist.net/Collections/Spanish/chi/alfonso1/1alfonso3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamps_and_postal_history_of_the_Philippines